The metric line from Ag. Anargyroi to Peloponnese

A general forum about railways for all non - Greek friends. In this place you can use only English language.
Άβαταρ μέλους
Outsider
Συνοδός
Συνοδός

Δημοσίευσηαπό Outsider » 02 Οκτ 2009, 16:46

What is the current status of the metric line from Ag. Anargyroi to Corinth? I think I saw in April that tracks had been lifted off, at least in one location (level crossing?), but it seems (as far as I can read the Greek forums) there has been at least some traffic. What about Corinth - Kiato and the connection between Corinth old station and Corinth new station, do those lines still exist? What sections are currently dual gauge lines? Is it expected that Corinth - Patra will be dual gauge?

What is the future of this line? I think there have been plans to use the section Megara - Elefsina - Ag. Anargyroi, further connected to SKA, as a suburban line, is it expected these plans will ever materialize?

thanx in advance :-D

Άβαταρ μέλους
sv1xv
Μηχανοστασιάρχης
Μηχανοστασιάρχης
Επικοινωνία:

Δημοσίευσηαπό sv1xv » 02 Οκτ 2009, 17:40

We travelled yesterday (October 1st) on the metre gauge line between Ag. Anargyroi and Corinth in a MAN DMU. The line was in reasonable condition.

The old line is also ok between Corinth and Kiato, but the track has been lifted in some locations around Derveni in the Kiato-Diakopto section. From Diakopto and Patras service trains normally.
:evil: The Internet is the best place to make new enemies.

Άβαταρ μέλους
Outsider
Συνοδός
Συνοδός

Δημοσίευσηαπό Outsider » 16 Οκτ 2009, 11:26

What kind of track and platform layout there's now at Corinth new station? In April, I think, there was still just a bridge ower the narrow gauge line but no connection from the old line to the new station.

Άβαταρ μέλους
sv1xv
Μηχανοστασιάρχης
Μηχανοστασιάρχης
Επικοινωνία:

Δημοσίευσηαπό sv1xv » 16 Οκτ 2009, 14:54

The New Station of Corinth can be used by metre gauge trains. It is now the terminus for trains to Argos, Nafplion and Tripolis.

Άβαταρ μέλους
Outsider
Συνοδός
Συνοδός

Δημοσίευσηαπό Outsider » 16 Οκτ 2009, 15:15

"sv1xv":1ti0p5js έγραψε:The New Station of Corinth can be used by metre gauge trains. It is now the terminus for trains to Argos, Nafplion and Tripolis.

Yes, but is the line from South still connected (I mean tracks and switches, not the service) to the old station of Corinth?

Άβαταρ μέλους
Marios Mitropoulos
Μηχανοδηγός
Μηχανοδηγός

Δημοσίευσηαπό Marios Mitropoulos » 16 Οκτ 2009, 18:01

Yes, the line in to 'Corinth Central' is still in place.
There are some 'voices' that suggest the removal of the disused tracks and would probably welcome the contruction of roads on the corridor.
Others (many of them participate in this forum) would like to see tram-train services in the broader area of Corinth using the 'old' metre tracks and thus creating an environmentally sustainable means of transportation.

You can also see the area here:
http://maps.google.se/maps?hl=sv&ie=UTF ... 8&t=h&z=16
Rollin´ on the tracks of time...

"Το κάθε πέρυσι και καλύτερα δεν ισχύει.
Απλά τώρα είναι το ίδιο χειρότερα...."

It is not economy I fear of, it is the so-called economists.

Άβαταρ μέλους
Outsider
Συνοδός
Συνοδός

Δημοσίευσηαπό Outsider » 20 Οκτ 2009, 11:44

"sv1xv":2i81y0wh έγραψε:We travelled yesterday (October 1st) on the metre gauge line between Ag. Anargyroi and Corinth in a MAN DMU. The line was in reasonable condition.

A couple of questions about the Athens end of the line:

Is the endpoint of the narrow gauge line still at the Ag. Anargyroi station, or somewhere further away? Is the line that follows approximately the Tripoleos street from the Ag. Anargyroi station to the new Liosia station narrow gauge only, or is there also stardard gauge line going that way? Btw, where was the old Ano Liosia station located and does it still exist?

Άβαταρ μέλους
nfotis
Σταθμάρχης
Σταθμάρχης

Δημοσίευσηαπό nfotis » 20 Οκτ 2009, 12:35

Good morning,

there are two tracks starting from Ághioi Anárgyroi station: one mixed gauge (standard and metre gauge) and one metre gauge.

Both run in parallel until Elefsína station outside Athens, if my memory serves me correctly, then it's only metre gauge all the way to Kórinthos.

The Áno Liósia station was demolished years ago, when the Attikí Odós motorway was under construction.
Its place was near the new Áno Liósia station (nearly 500 meters west of the current station).

Hope this helps,
N.F.
High speed, high quality, low cost - select any two.

Up hill slow, down hill fast, tonnage first, safety last.

The optimist sees the light at the tunnel. Pessimist sees the darkness. Realist sees the train. Train driver sees three idiots on the track

Άβαταρ μέλους
nfotis
Σταθμάρχης
Σταθμάρχης

Δημοσίευσηαπό nfotis » 20 Οκτ 2009, 16:43

Just posted in another section of the forum, by BasilisG:

Εικόνα

This is (approximately) the area where the old metre gauge Áno Liósia station was located.

The new Áno Liósia station is marked by the green shed at the background (near the center of the photo).

Hope this helps,
N.F.
High speed, high quality, low cost - select any two.

Up hill slow, down hill fast, tonnage first, safety last.

The optimist sees the light at the tunnel. Pessimist sees the darkness. Realist sees the train. Train driver sees three idiots on the track

Άβαταρ μέλους
Outsider
Συνοδός
Συνοδός

Δημοσίευσηαπό Outsider » 20 Οκτ 2009, 17:30

Very nice photo! Is that standard gauge track at the right side (the one MAN is traveling on) connected to the new line to Kiato, i.e. is it possible to route trains from Kiato to Athens via this track, past the Liosia station? The normal route is via the SKA-junction, isn't it? Just wondering because the train I was traveling from Kiato to Ano Liosia and further to AIA somehow managed to bypass the Liosia station altogether :-?

Άβαταρ μέλους
Tsako
Webmaster
Webmaster

Δημοσίευσηαπό Tsako » 20 Οκτ 2009, 18:39

No! This track is completely out of service for passengers.
But... if you have money, you can rent an excursion train! :lol22:

Actually the line used only from freight trains from Liosia to Ag. Anargiroi and back.

Άβαταρ μέλους
sv1xv
Μηχανοστασιάρχης
Μηχανοστασιάρχης
Επικοινωνία:

Δημοσίευσηαπό sv1xv » 20 Οκτ 2009, 18:53

"Tsako":3pcb3ohu έγραψε:Actually the line used only from freight trains from Liosia to Ag. Anargiroi and back.
And also for local freight trains to the Hellenic Refineries of Aspropyrgos and Steelworks of Greece nearby.

Άβαταρ μέλους
Outsider
Συνοδός
Συνοδός

Hellenic narrow gauge railway network

Δημοσίευσηαπό Outsider » 29 Οκτ 2009, 18:12

Peloponnese network and services

Sad, seems the services in the Peloponnese network have been reduced, I would say, below minimum. Kiato - Patra closed, only two pairs of trains left between Kalamata and Patra! Kyparissia had regular feeder service to Kalonero, and a number of direct services to other destinations, now just one arrival and one departure from/to Kalamata! Some day Corinth - Kalamata will reopen - but I think it's still about the same 236 km (vs. 167 km by road!). Wondering why they didn't make any new tunnels or bridges to cut the length of the extremely winding line but only did superstructure renewal.

Wondering what has been the impact on the stations and their staffing? E.g. Kalonero used to be open from early morning hours to past midnight and there were several train crossings throughout the day. Zevgolatio, Kopanaki etc. also had some daily crossings. Now there are very few, if any crossings, except in Pyrgos?

Hope, there will some day be the 'Y-network' connecting Kalamata with standard gauge railway in Patra and Corinth, before the narrow gauge dies away, recent developments haven’t been too positive. Railway from Athens via Peloponnese to Crete - against this background it's difficult to be particularly optimistic!

Άβαταρ μέλους
sbaros
Συνοδός
Συνοδός

Δημοσίευσηαπό sbaros » 09 Νοέμ 2009, 22:35

"Outsider":2d7ezewd έγραψε:What is the current status of the metric line from Ag. Anargyroi to Corinth? I think I saw in April that tracks had been lifted off, at least in one location (level crossing?)
Which level crossing? Perhaps south of Ag. Anargyroi, since the rest of the line is intact and serviceable, as noted by the other members
"Outsider":2d7ezewd έγραψε:What about Corinth - Kiato and the connection between Corinth old station and Corinth new station, do those lines still exist? What sections are currently dual gauge lines?
All this area is intact as well,also dual gauge is the area around Kineta station (including a dual gauge platform in Kineta itself)
"Outsider":2d7ezewd έγραψε:What is the future of this line? I think there have been plans to use the section Megara - Elefsina - Ag. Anargyroi, further connected to SKA, as a suburban line, is it expected these plans will ever materialize?
This is simply a matter of finding an operator
Blog μέ τά τελευταια σιδ/κά νέα ελληνιστί & αγγλιστί
Σά νά παρατράβηξε αυτό τό διάλειμμα του ταξικου εμφυλίου πολέμου.
Ο συσσωρευμένος πλουτος των καπιταλιστων ειναι προϊόν εγκλήματος καί πρέπει νά κατασχεθει από τό κοινωνικό σύνολο.

Άβαταρ μέλους
Outsider
Συνοδός
Συνοδός

Δημοσίευσηαπό Outsider » 10 Νοέμ 2009, 11:10

"sbaros":1lsictgd έγραψε:
"Outsider":1lsictgd έγραψε:What is the current status of the metric line from Ag. Anargyroi to Corinth? I think I saw in April that tracks had been lifted off, at least in one location (level crossing?)
Which level crossing? Perhaps south of Ag. Anargyroi, since the rest of the line is intact and serviceable, as noted by the other members

Well, I can't say for sure but the place was much further away from Athens. The Proastiakos train was travelling towards Athens, the old line was visible quite a long time down the new one and eventually the lines came fairly close to each other before the old line disappeared out of sight. There might be several such locations :wink: . Because the line is still serviceable, I must have either mistaken it or there were some construction works that have already been completed. :-?

Επιστροφή στο ευρετήριο

Επιστροφή σε “English Section”

Μέλη σε σύνδεση

Μέλη σε αυτήν τη Δ. Συζήτηση: Δεν υπάρχουν εγγεγραμμένα μέλη και 1 επισκέπτης

ypomnhma