Greek Railways in 2015

A general forum about railways for all non - Greek friends. In this place you can use only English language.
Άβαταρ μέλους
Jallamazc

Greek Railways in 2015

Δημοσίευσηαπό Jallamazc » 09 Φεβ 2015, 19:18

Γεια σας!

I'm a railway fan from Spain, and i like to travel during this year to discover the greek rail network, specially the narrow gauge of the Peloponeso. For me it's difficult to have information about the hellenic railway situation, the few webs that i find are for the majority in greek. The only information that i know is that OSE will be privatisated after an austerity program that includes a lot of line closures and reduction of trains. The new Syriza gouvernement is interested in reopen lines and increase trains across the network?

What is the situation of train operation across Greece?. I'm very interested in the freight trains and narrow gauge operations. If you tell me about i can plan the trip.

σας ευχαριστώ πολύ!
Jaime

Άβαταρ μέλους
alsthom
Webmaster
Webmaster

Re: Greek Railways in 2015

Δημοσίευσηαπό alsthom » 10 Φεβ 2015, 09:28

Hello Jaime.

I think that it's too early for the new government to decide what to do with the closed lines. My personal opinion is that they will remain closed. :-(

So, speaking of narrow gauge , there is no narrow gauge in Greece. :angry:
The only sections that still operates are:
1."Suburban railway" of Patras (about 12km long), and
2. Katakolo-Pyrgos-Olympia (about 30 km).
That's it!!! Oh I forgot our famous rack railway from Diakopto to Kalavryta.

On the other hand (standard gauge) in the mainline you can find several passenger trains , plus 1 or two freight trains. Theese freight trains are running 4-5 times in a week. (I am not sure though, maybe I am wrong). I know that the freight trains are running during the night mostly.

It's a shame what THEY did to our railways. We used to have many trains, many "good" diesels but all of them are now gone. :wallbash:

That's all.
Wellcome to our forum.
PS. I hope you understand my poor english.
Ηλίας
No alsthom...No Party!

Άβαταρ μέλους
EAZY
Μηχανοδηγός
Μηχανοδηγός

Δημοσίευσηαπό EAZY » 10 Φεβ 2015, 13:02

Jallamazc έγραψε:Γεια σας!

I'm a railway fan from Spain, and i like to travel during this year to discover the greek rail network, specially the narrow gauge of the Peloponeso. For me it's difficult to have information about the hellenic railway situation, the few webs that i find are for the majority in greek. The only information that i know is that OSE will be privatisated after an austerity program that includes a lot of line closures and reduction of trains. The new Syriza gouvernement is interested in reopen lines and increase trains across the network?

What is the situation of train operation across Greece?. I'm very interested in the freight trains and narrow gauge operations. If you tell me about i can plan the trip.

σας ευχαριστώ πολύ!
Jaime

Jaime bienvenido... :-) a veces hay y trenes especiales de excursion en peloponnese...puede ser y de Amnizia...ΧΟΥ-ΒΟΥ es el jefe para organizar los ..y.si estas interesado puedes hablar con el...hasta luego....
***Hold them from the nose and kick them in the ass.***

Άβαταρ μέλους
ΧΟΥ-ΒΟΥ
Staff
Staff

Δημοσίευσηαπό ΧΟΥ-ΒΟΥ » 10 Φεβ 2015, 13:51

Holla Jallamazc ! :occasion:

Finales de Abril organizará viaje en tren en Peloponeso, la espera de detalles

ΧΟΥ-ΒΟΥ :xythumbs:
Εικόνα

Άβαταρ μέλους
Outsider
Συνοδός
Συνοδός

Δημοσίευσηαπό Outsider » 04 Μάιος 2015, 01:37

Νice to see some life in the English section! :-)

What's now the situation with the standard gauge network between Kiato and Patras, how has the project been progressing and how is it expected to proceed? Are there any sections, beyond Kiato, already in use?

Άβαταρ μέλους
EAZY
Μηχανοδηγός
Μηχανοδηγός

Δημοσίευσηαπό EAZY » 04 Μάιος 2015, 11:23

Nothing yet beyond Kiato.... :-( but works are proceeding with a good pace....the only problem is future cash flow to the contractors.... :whistle:
***Hold them from the nose and kick them in the ass.***

Άβαταρ μέλους
homo faber
Προϊστάμενος
Προϊστάμενος

Δημοσίευσηαπό homo faber » 28 Ιουν 2015, 21:05

Actually works continue in two major sections:
1. Kiato - Rododafni (just after Aigio) i.e. km 21 to km 91 and
2. Rododafni - Psathopyrgos (just before Rio )i.e. km 91 to km 113
Works in the first section include all remaining earthworks and strucures, tracklaying and signalling but not electrification of the line. Works in the latter section include only earthworks and structures (among others the Panagopoula twin bore 5km long tunnel).
A third section has been tendered from km 113 to km 123 (a stop between Rio and Patra). Finally a fourth tender will include the electrification of all three sections and the tracklaying and signalling of the section Rododafni - Rio.
We hope to see the first diesel hauled trains bettween Kiato and Aigio in 2017.

Άβαταρ μέλους
nfotis
Σταθμάρχης
Σταθμάρχης

Δημοσίευσηαπό nfotis » 01 Ιούλ 2015, 18:12

Is there any reason to change to diesel traction in Kiato? The remaining distance is useless without electrification, in my opinion.

N. F.
High speed, high quality, low cost - select any two.

Up hill slow, down hill fast, tonnage first, safety last.

The optimist sees the light at the tunnel. Pessimist sees the darkness. Realist sees the train. Train driver sees three idiots on the track

Άβαταρ μέλους
homo faber
Προϊστάμενος
Προϊστάμενος

Δημοσίευσηαπό homo faber » 02 Ιούλ 2015, 15:37

The change in traction is feasible to take place in Korinthos. There Passengers can transfer on adjacent platforms. Aigio is a major town that has to be serveed by rail as soon as possible.

Επιστροφή στο ευρετήριο

Επιστροφή σε “English Section”

Μέλη σε σύνδεση

Μέλη σε αυτήν τη Δ. Συζήτηση: Δεν υπάρχουν εγγεγραμμένα μέλη και 1 επισκέπτης

ypomnhma